Historic RAF Battle of Britain Artefact
Hawker Hurricane Aircraft
Control column spade grip
Piece of Battle Of Britain history from a known aircraft – Comes with paperwork research file card detailing the aircraft incident.
RARE opportunity to own a piece of Historic WWII Aircraft that flew in Battle of Britain
This item has been part of a private collection having been recovered in the 1970’s. We have this item for sale on behalf of the owner who has had it in his collection for a number of decades.
The grip is from Hawker Hurricane P2765 – 605 Squadron (Last picture illustrates this aircraft)
Shot down in 1940 whilst attacking a formation of HE111’s of KG53. The pilot J.S Humphreys bailed out the aircraft at 12,000ft – wounded but survived. More history and specific details below.
Dunlop part number AH2040
Other numbers on components: CG 01032 and A730132
Size: Stick measures 32cm high x 14cm width Approx. Wooden plinth measures 33.5cm high x 14.5cm width Approx.
Condition: Used as flown / as crashed / as recovered – mounted on a wooden plinth. As you can see from the pictures, it has been mounted as found. Relic condition. Has not been repaired as such, still misshapen from impact. Has been cleaned. Plaque reads “HURRICANE P2765 605 SQD 9.9.40”
Background to aircraft and pilot
9 September 1940
RAF Hurricane Mk.I — P2765 part of 605 Squadron was shot down by a German Heinkel 111 bomber over Farnborough, Kent at 17.30hrs. Hit by cross fire, the cockpit side was shot away and was abandoned over Bordon near Petersfield. It crashed at the Straits Kingsley. Pilot Officer J. S. Humphreys bailed out with a wounded hand, was shot at in error by Canadian soldiers, and then robbed by them on landing! (If anyone knows more about this incident, please do tell). The aircraft was written off. There was a major recovery from a back garden by the Southern Area Wartime Aircraft Preservation Society during April 1979, this is when the grip was recovered.
Background to 605 Squadron
Formed on 5 October 1926 at RAF Castle Bromwich, 605 (County of Warwick) Squadron was originally a day bomber unit of the Auxiliary Air Force. recruiting in the Birmingham area. Initially equipped with DH.9As, it received Westland Wapitis in April 1930 and Hawker Harts in October 1934. The latter were replaced by Hawker Hinds in August 1936. On 1 January 1939 No. 605 squadron was redesignated as a fighter squadron and re-equipped with Gloster Gladiators., they moved to RAF Tangmere at the start of World War II with a mixture of 6 Hurricanes and 10 Gloster Gladiators. In 1940, the Squadron flew patrols over northern France and took part in the closing stages of the Battle of Britain. It then carried out escort duties and fighter sweeps until posted overseas. In November 1941, the Squadron flew off the carrier HMS Argus to Malta, where it was retained as part of the island’s defences, prior to continuing its journey to the Far East. Arriving in Singapore too late to prevent its capture, it moved to Sumatra and then to Java, where they were caught up in the Japanese invasion. It operated any aircraft it could fly until it ceased to exist with its personnel either escaping in small groups or being captured. A new 605 Squadron was formed at RAF Ford on 7 June 1942. Initially equipped with Douglas Boston and Havocs in the intruder role, they were replaced with de Havilland Mosquitoes from February 1943. The Squadron continued to operate this type of aircraft until the end of the war and during this period they were tasked with destroying the German V1 Flying Bombs en route to England. The Squadron disbanded at Volkel Air Base on 31 August 1945; however, with the reactivation of the Royal Auxiliary Air Force, 605 Squadron was reformed as a night fighter squadron at RAF Honiley on 10 May 1946. Becoming a day fighter Squadron in July 1948, it flew de Havilland Vampire F.1s and Vampire FB.5s before finally being disbanded, along with all the flying units of the RAuxAF, on 10 March 1957. The Squadron Standard was awarded on 15 October 1953, but it was presented by HRH Princess Margaret on 11 March 1954. It is now laid up in the Parish Church of St Cuthbert of Lindisfarne, Castle Vale, which was built on the original site of RAF Castle Bromwich.
SHIPPING – Please contact us for an accurate shipping price. We ship worldwide, tracked and traced.
Sold on behalf on client on a commission basis.
Our ref 16072650